The amount of underutilized space in your outdoor spaces can be disappointing. But when it comes to backyard fun, entertainment ideas can be challenging to brainstorm.
But when it comes to fun ideas, where do you start. What fun things can I put in my backyard this summer?
Fun things you can put in your backyard include the following:
- A swimming pool for hot days
- PVC pipes as car tunnels for your kids
- A fire pit for friends and family
- A treehouse for your kids to hang out in
- A sheet for a drive-in movie night
- A sunken trampoline (or regular trampoline) for easily bored kids
- A giant Scrabble board setup
- A rock garden to encourage a moment of zen
These are just a few examples of fun things to include in your summer projects. The rest of this article will go over some creative ideas you can use for summer fun.
Summer – A Time for DIY Projects
Whether it comes to creating a giant board game or a blanket fort, summer is the best time to dig into those DIY projects collecting dust in the back of your head.
Below, we are going to go through a quick overview of some of the more exciting ideas you can steal:
How to Build a Treehouse
Building a treehouse is one of those dream things that you don’t get many opportunities to do. They are lots of fun for the kids and provide them a natural hide-a-way.
Given that you are in a tree, you need to be picky about their design.
Here’s a quick list of things you need to do when building a treehouse:
- Select an established and large tree for your house
- Design your treehouse using help from an engineer or carpenter
- Make sure you have saws, hammers, nails, and other vital supplies ready
- Pay particular attention to bracers
- Make sure the flooring is sturdy
- Be sure you have railings, walls, a window, and one entrance
- A patio roof will always be a nice touch
Working with someone who knows how to work with wood is crucial, as they will learn more about structural requirements and the type of wood you need to buy.
If you happen to be handy, they can help produce the plans while you follow the structure.
If you don’t trust your tree, you can also choose to have a lifted foundation that doesn’t go relatively as high.
There are many examples of inspiration on sites like Instagram and Pinterest; use all of the resources you can.
How to Build a Zen Garden
Another unique approach you can apply to your backyard is a Zen Garden. A zen garden has a defined path constructed with a rake, usually has some large rocks, pots, and moss, and is primarily relaxing.
Here are some quick steps you can use to build a Zen Garden:
- Purchase a rake. They do make rakes for zen gardens, but any standard rake will do.
- Purchase sand that you can spread in areas of your garden.
- Acquire rocks that appeal to you.
- Look online for inspiration for the design.
- Consider low water zen gardens that include water features.
- Follow general steps for taking care of flowers (and other plants you find appealing)
A zen garden is a fantastic project that you can take on over the summer. These long-term projects can keep you sane and provide excellent ways to spend a summer.
Just make sure you follow general gardening tips and have a large enough garden to establish a section of it for your zen project.
Low-Effort Fun Things for Your Backyard
If you don’t feel like building a shed in a tree or a zen garden, there are many low impact options you can choose; below are some low-effort suggestions for your backyard:
- Lifesize toss version of the classic tictactoe. Jumbo 3ft x 3ft game board with oversized 10in x 10in Xs and Os. X always plays first. Includes 5 Xs and 4 Os.
- Polished and sealed to withstand the elements. Take to the beach, pool, camping, picnic or to the lake. Great for indoor and outdoor use.
- X & O pieces are 100% poplar plywood with meticulously rounded edges with an extra smooth finish. Mega size game board is fortified from durable rope and poplar.
Use pool noodles to create giant backyard games (like Tic-Tac-Toe) that you, your family, and friends can play together.
- Say goodbye to the troubles and dangers of carrying propane. This fire pit bowl is easier to control and safer than traditional bonfires, and fire pits outdoor is lightweight enough that you can carry it around easily.
- Durable steel frame of the portable fire pit has a black heat-resistant coating. With weather resistant, large load-bearing capacity, long-lasting durability and rustproof features.
- All weather fire bowl can be used as fire pit,BBQ grill, perfect for your backyard, outdoor entertaining, bonfire pit, RV trips, camping, tailgating, beach, parties.
Invest in a fire pit you can use to roast weiners and turn your backyard into a natural camping experience.
- The water slide is made of thick sturdy Super-slick PVC sheet, durable and long-lasting use. Roll it up and pack it away at the end of summer. It will ready to go year after year!
- Most water slides only come with the slide and no other accessories. Don’t settle for that! You deserve the best.
- This water slide takes a minute to set up. The splash sprint racing water slide covers the water spout to ensure that the entire slide is covered with spray.
Slip n’ slides are classic fun for adults and kids. Be sure not to be too close to the fence, as you don’t want to cause an expensive accident!
- Spacious Play Room for Your Family: The family inflatable swimming pool can hold up to 2 adults plus 3-5 kids to enjoy a splashing pool party in the backyard
- Durable &Long Life Span: The inflatable pool is 50% thicker than most in the market, reducing the risk of punctures ensuring a lengthy life span
- Safe & Soft: Made with Naphthalene and Lead Free, BPA-free material( CPSIA , CPC and ASTM certificates ) the safety.
You can’t beat the classic feel of an inflatable pool. Consider something that can fit the whole family.
- HIGH QUALITY: Self sealing water balloons，high quality water balloon set.
- RAPID-FILLING WATER BALLOONS: Save filling time and jump into the outdoor fun this summer! Fill & Tie 592 Water Balloons in just 60 Seconds!
- MAGIC BALLOONS: Say goodbye to the stress and mess of filling individual water balloons, and hello to never ending summer fun! Simply connect, fill and make hundreds of water balloons with no hand-tying at all!
You cannot beat water guns and water balloon fights for backyard fun. Turn your backyard into a wet warzone with an open challenge to any other families.
When it comes to backyard fun, there are several long-term projects that you and your family can do together. Two of these include treehouses and zen gardens, but a classic garden works just as well.
The idea is to have fun, so make sure to have room for some simple games along the way.
If you need help with the gardening part of your backyard project, check out this article on what flowers need to grow. Thanks for reading!