Table of Contents
Have you ever wished that your house would come alive? Not literally, but rather run on its own. That all the smart devices could work on their own?
And that you could save the effort of running around the house every night, like some Olympic sprinter, switching off all the lights? With Alexa Smart Plug, this dream of yours can be turned into a reality.
Smart plug with Alexa is a smart outlet, which will manage all your electronic equipment for you when linked up with Alexa. It is a power-point adapter that can fit between your power socket and features a compact design that doesn’t block any adjacent ports.
Fundamentally, smart plugs are simply used to turn an appliance on and off, but when bridged to a smart home platform, it converts to a very nifty device.
Alexa Smart Plugs are considered ‘smart’ as they enable you to control your electronic devices from an app on your phone. They perform numerous tasks; for example, you can preschedule your coffee maker to make coffee for you when you wake up in the morning.
Or you can turn on your wi-fi network.
Now that you’ve got an idea as to what Alexa smart plug is, we’ll show you how to set it up. We’ve gone into detail as to what necessary measures should be taken to install this helping hand of yours.
Setting up Alexa Smart Plug is quite simple. All you’ve got to do is to plug your Alexa Smart Plug into a power socket. Download the Alexa app on your phone. Launch the app, set up the smart plugin the app, and you’re good to go.
You can also set up Alexa Smart Plug using an Echo Plus. Make sure that the smart plug is plugged in, choose the Echo Plus in pairing mode, and Alexa will automatically pair with the smart plug.
How to Install Alexa Smart Plug
Whether you’re using Android or iOS, the directions to set up Amazon Alexa are almost the same. Furthermore, the set-up is incredibly easy. You need to go through with the following steps to make it work:
- Firstly, take the amazon smart plug out of its packaging.
- Plug the device into a socket.
- Download the Alexa App. You can download this app from either Google Play Store or App Store.
- Give it a second or two to find the app (It should automatically locate the app)
- Select the device options in the navigation bar.
- Open the Alexa app
What if Alexa Smart Plug doesn’t automatically set-up?
For most individuals, Alexa Smart Plug sets up automatically. In case it doesn’t set up automatically, you can follow these simple steps to get your Alexa Smart Plug up and running:
- In the Alexa app tap, click on the Devices tab at the bottom of the screen. Then click on the “+” icon on the upper right corner, then click on “add the device” and then on “Plug.” Then you’ll have to click on “Amazon.”
- You’ll open up a tab requesting the 2D bar code. You can find the bar code in the guide which came with the box. You can also scan the bar code from the back of the Alexa Smart Plug.
- From there on, the process is self-explanatory.
If the smart plug still doesn’t set up, then it means that you haven’t saved your Wi-Fi password to Amazon and enabled simple Wi-Fi set-up. You’ll have to save your Wi-Fi password to Amazon and enable simple Wi-Fi set-up.
Still not working?
It might be a possibility that your Alexa Smart Plug might not work at first. Even if you manually set it up, it might be unresponsive until you get an alert on your Alexa app saying that there is a problem. If something of this nature happens to you, then try this:
- Unplug your Alexa Smart Plug
- Then cancel the set-up in the Alexa app
- Take the Alexa Smart Plug out from the socket, plug it back in, and hold the button on the plug until it blinks red and blue
- If this doesn’t work, try the manual set-up again, as mentioned above
Setting up Alexa Smart Plug via an Echo Plus
There is one other method through which you can set-up your Alexa Smart Plug. If you have an Echo Plus, you can use it to install your smart plug. To pair your Alexa Smart Plug, do the following:
- Ensure that the smart plug is plugged in and turned on.
- Then say, “Alexa, discover my devices.” This will enable the Echo Plus to go into pairing mode.
- Alexa will respond if the pairing was a success.
- You can also link up with a smart plug and by adding it from the “Add Devices” menu as mentioned above. To do so, go through the following simple steps:
- Open the Alexa app and select add device
- Select the device you wish to connect to, in this case, a smart plug.
- Then follow along with the instructions.
Your Echo device must have a built-in ZigBee protocol cause neither of the methods will be successful, and you’ll have to add your smart plug manually.
When your Alexa Smart Plug is ready to use, you’ll be able to turn it on and off via voice control. There’s also a device panel in the Alexa app through which you can turn the device on or off, should you choose not to utter the phrase.
This page can be easily accessed via the navigation dock at the bottom of the app. You can turn the smart plug on or off from here.
To recapitulate, Alexa Smart Plug is quite handy when it comes to managing your appliances. If you are the type of person who wants to create a routine, it is just the thing for you.
It can singlehandedly control your smart household devices in a heartbeat. Setting up Alexa Smart Plug is also incredibly easy. You can either set it up from the Alexa App or install it via your Echo Plus.