Table of Contents
Toaster ovens have always been recognized as one of the highlights of the “versatile appliance” niche. Of course, that was only until 2020, when the air fryer arrived to conquer our lockdown dinners.
Here in this article, we will show you how to use a black and decker air fryer toaster oven.
While many people immediately embraced the new king of the kitchen, others were just as easily worried about the dwindling availability of counter space.
Possibly thinking of them (we don’t know, as the Black+Decker marketing does not answer our e-mails), Black+Decker took a gamble by combining all of them.
The result is the Crisp N Bake. This machine can bake, broil, toast, and warm, now compounded by the ability to make your favorite fried foods using high-intensity hot air.
This brings all the taste without the fat and can produce crispy French fries, oil-free wontons, and all sorts of fast-food-worthy cuts of meat.
But how do you fit all these different functions in a single appliance? The answer is with a smartly designed system of knobs and buttons. However, these come with a steep learning curve.
How to Use a Black & Decker Crisp N Bake Toaster Oven and Air Fryer
Below, we will show you how to use your new Black+Decker Crisp N Bake Integrated Toaster Oven and Air Fryer. As usual, we will keep it simple and flexible.
Initial set up
The first thing you need to use before enjoying restaurant-worthy fried chicken or grilled cheese is to set up your new Crisp N Bake properly:
- First, make sure you remove all packaging materials and stickers. This includes the stickers that cover the glass door, which can be a bit hard to spot.
- Take out the crumb tray, baking tray, and frying baskets and wash them with soapy water.
- Dry the trays thoroughly
- Choose the right spot for your new appliance. Make sure it is a flat surface, with an inch or two of wiggle room at the back so the end of your oven doesn’t touch the wall.
- Plug it into an AC grounded outlet
Switching between modes
The key to using your Crisp N Bake properly is to understand its different baking functions, and how to switch between them.
To the right side of the door, you will find three knobs that will allow you to tweak its settings.
The top one is the temperature and cooking function knob. This lets you choose between:
- Air fryer mode: this uses very hot air to bake, brown and crisp your favorite fried foods
- Toaster mode: this lets you toast bread to three different degrees (dark, medium and light toast)
- Baking mode: this works as a standard oven for a variety of foods. Right after the “Bake” position, you will find a range of possible, very precise temperatures.
- Broiler mode: This uses a single heating coil located at the top of the oven. This is great for grilling meats and melting cheese
- Keep warm mode: This provides a low dose of steady heat that keeps the food warm but without overcooking it
The middle knob is a timer. You can use it to program your broiling, baking, and air frying ahead of time. There is also a “Stay on” position, which you can control manually.
The third know is a toast shade selector. It has three icons showing dark, medium, and light toast, but you can place the knob anywhere in between.
On top of these three knobs, there is a long slit with a power indicator light. It’s pretty useful if you need to check whether the oven is on!
Cooking with your toaster oven
The “toaster oven” mode works just like any other toaster oven. This includes baking, broiling and making toast.
To toast a few slices of bread, you will not need to preheat the oven. Simply follow these steps:
- Place your bread slices in the middle rack, inside the oven.
- Check that the crumb tray is in the right place.
- Twist the top knob to the toast position.
- Leave the middle knob alone.
- Select your shade of toast with the last knob. This is essentially a toast timer.
- Wait for the bell to ring
To bake or broil, you will need to preheat the oven for 10 minutes. This is what you need to do:
- Set the top knob to BROIL or to your desired baking temperature
- Turn the timer (middle knob) to the 20-minute position, so that the indicator light turns itself on.
- Then, twist the same know back to the 10-minute position and wait for the bell to ring.
- Place the food on top of a baking tray. Make sure that the food fits properly inside the tray, and that there’s at least half an inch between the food and the edges of the oven.
- Close back the oven
- Turn the timer again to the desired cooking time. This is probably listed on the recipe.
- If you have a meat thermometer, you can also place the timer on “stay on”, and test your meat internal temperature manually
- Wait for the bell to ring, and get a pair of oven mittens ready before touching the food
Cooking with your air fryer
Your Crisp N Bake’s strong point is that it includes an air fryer. Air fry technology uses high-intensity hot air to bake, brown, or crisp all sorts of food.
Air fried foods are usually crunchy, with a deep-fried taste or texture. However, you won’t be submerging it in oil. The total calorie count could be just half of that of deep-fried food, or even less.
If you want to take advantage of this function, here is what you need to do:
- Place the food you would normally deep fry on the fryer basket
- Slide the frying basket to the middle or lower rack
- Twist the top knob to the AIR FRY position.
- Twist the timer to 20, so the indicator light turns on
- Then, twist it to the cooking time you want (which may be less)
- Wait for the bell to ring.
- Grab a pair of oven mittens before removing your food from the oven!
Maintenance and Upkeep
The Black+Decker Crisp N Bake is built to last. However, you should care for it properly and clean it thoroughly after each use. This will prevent any malfunctions and keep old fat drippings from catching fire.
Make sure the oven is unplugged and cool before you try to clean it.
For the glass door, you can use a soft sponge and any standard glass or window cleaner.
Take out the baking pans, crumb tray, or frying basket and place them in the dishwasher. Otherwise, use warm soapy water.
You can wipe the exterior and front of the oven with a damp cloth. Just steer clear of the back!
The Crisp N Bake combines different cooking modes in a single oven-like appliance. If you are creative enough, this can allow you to create a restaurant’s worth of food.