If you live in a snowy climate, a snow blower will make your life much easier. But buying a snow blower is definitely an investment. You may find yourself wondering if it’s possible to get a discount, and the answer is yes. Here we’ll dive into the question “When is the perfect time to buy a snow blower?”
There are various conditions that affect the price of a snow blower. The most important are:
- The model of your snow blower
- Whether it’s electric or gas powered
- Where you buy it (online versus retail)
- The time of the year you make the purchase
Many people wait till the snow hits to buy their snow blowers. This actually not a great idea, because that’s the time everyone else wants one too! It’s a simple matter of supply and demand. You may find that the model you really want is sold out. Or you may find only overpriced models and therefore be forced to overpay. Read on to learn why buying your snow blower during the off-season could be a great way to save money.
Are snow blowers cheaper in the summer?
Jen King, a spokesperson from Home Depot’s Atlanta headquarters, says that the chain runs many promotions to encourage people to buy their snow blowers early than waiting for winter. In the heat of summer, snow is the last thing on people’s mind. The manufacturers also run their production batch during spring and summer.
- Making a purchase at this time may entitle you to a lower price on your model. You can get discounts or find snow blowers on sale during summer. The cost comes down because of a number of reasons.
- The retail stores will have leftover stock from the previous season. They will be looking forward to selling it off at a lower price to make room for the coming stock.
- Manufacturers run their promotion cycle during months of May to July. At this time, some models can be found at online retailers at especially attractive rates.
- Some retailers offer “end of season” sales around March or April. They source the snow blowers at lower prices from companies that want to sell out a model. The equipment is available at lower costs, and negotiations can lead to additional discounts.
Drawbacks of buying snow blowers in the summer
Note that there are some disadvantages you may face if you buy a snow blower in the summer. They include the following:
- You may not get full coverage on warranty during the snowing season as you are purchasing early.
- The range of selection of snow blowers can be limited. The new inventory comes around August. That will be the best time to find every model of snow blower in a store’s product list.
- The snow blower won’t be used till winter. It may not be a good idea to keep it non-operational for such a long time.
If you spot a good deal on a snow blower, we recommend buying it regardless of the season.
Learn more about snow blowers
Now that you know the answer to the question “When is the perfect time to buy a snow blower?”, are you ready to go shopping? Be sure to check out our guide to the Best Snow Blowers of 2020. Be sure to do your research before making the investment. While snow blowers are easy to use, you’ll definitely want to learn about snow blower safety, if snow blowers work on gravel, and find out, “Can snow blowers break ice?” You may also want to learn about snow blower stages. Enjoy not having to shovel your driveway this winter!