You will not be able to get rid of mold, fungus, and viruses completely if the reason for them is not addressed. However, they can remove mold growth, fungus, and virus airborne particles that are problematic and make allergies worse. Here are the best air purifier for mold fungus & viruses.
If you have a mold allergy, a mold problem, or have household odor issues, getting an air cleaner or purifier can help improve the air in your home.
Finding the best air purifier for mold, fungus, and viruses is important to clean air pollutants and reduce mold exposure, and this list will help you find what works best for your household.
Making the Right Choice of Air Purifier
Choosing the best air purifier takes a bit of research where you look at strength, CADR, room size and cost. Here are some of the best that have been tested and compared.
Levoit Core 300 Air Purifier
- Enjoy fresh air in 12 minutes with the Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology and 360° air intake, the Core 300 refreshes the air 5x per hour in rooms as large as 219 ft² / 20 m²
- Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants.
- Choose from a variety of replacement filters to best meet your needs.
A strong filtration system that will cover almost 220 sq ft swapping out 135 cubic meters of CADR – clean air delivery rate. This portable air purifier is quiet, energy-efficient and inexpensive. It is good for those with a mold allergy, allergies to pet dander, or for smokers. It has an H13 True HEPA filter, odor eliminators and will get rid of dust, smoke, dander, mold and pollen.
You will not find another filter in this price range with the same great CADR numbers. It won’t suck up a lot of energy so you can run it 24-7 if you need to. The bonus with this model is that the replacement filter is cheaper than most so long term costs drop as well. This model is perfect for a bedroom as its noise level is at a whisper level.
Molekule Air Mini+ with PECO Technology
- Molekule Air Mini uses Photo Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) nanotechnology to destroy viruses, VOCs, allergens, bacteria & mold.
- Designed for small rooms up to 250 sq. ft. Ideal for studio apartments, kids’ bedrooms & home offices.
- Molekule Air Mini is easy to control using its one-touch interface. For added convenience, you can connect it to your WiFi and control it remotely using the iPhone or Android app.
While Molekule are not inexpensive air purifiers, they are machines that use a technology called PECO. It uses free radicals to get rid of, break down, pollutants that have been trapped at a molecular level. This is different from a HEPA air purifier, as PECO is killing the various particles whereas HEPA is just trapping airborne particles in the filter with the potential to escape again.
This filter has been engineered for a room up to 250 sq ft. The machine is quiet and can be used with an app, so it is simply a click on your smartphone to change the fan speed or filter status. Easy to use and does a great job.
Medify MA-40 Air Purifier
- Cleans large spaces up to 1,600 sq ft in one hour, 840 sq ft in 30 minutes (CADR 380). Ideal for homes, apartments, bedrooms, living rooms, offices, schools, universities, classrooms, hospitals, restaurants, and other businesses.
- Trusted to remove 99.9% of particles including odors, smoke, pet dander, dust, and more down to 0.1 microns in size.
- Choose from 3 fan speeds, with the lowest setting operating virtually silent. Runs at 110 Volts at a min noise level of 46dB and max of 66dB.
This is a mid-cost purifier that can tackle a bigger room than most, while still improving indoor air quality and decreasing pollutant and mold exposure. It has an amazing CDAR rating of 330 and can tackle a 1600 sq ft room in only one hour, or 30 minutes for an 800 sq ft room. It is powerful and uses an H13 medical-grade HEPA filter for powerful air filtration.
This model also has an 8-hour timer function so you can dictate its running time as well as a child lock on the controls so if you have it in their room, they won’t play with it. It is also sturdy so there is no chance of a child or pet pulling or knocking it over. The added bonus is that it has a high Energy Star rating, so it has low running costs.
Molekule Air Pro
- Molekule Air uses Photo Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) nanotechnology to destroy viruses, VOCs, allergens, bacteria & mold.
- Designed for large rooms up to 600 sq. ft. Ideal for master bedrooms, living rooms & family rooms.
- Molekule Air is easy to control using its touch-screen display. For added convenience, you can connect it to your WiFi and control it remotely using the iPhone or Android app.
This is a larger version of the Molekule mini and is great for bigger rooms. It uses the same air purification technology to kill airborne mold spores rather than just trap them. This model will cover up to 600 sq ft so will work in offices as well as larger rooms at home. It can be left running without issue but also can be used just as needed if it is a place of business.
Gocheer Air Purifier
- Large Coverage and All-round Cleaning: CADR 1,000, easily cleans up to 4,410 sq ft in one hour, 2,500 sq ft in 30 minutes, 1,102 sq ft in 15 minutes (CADR 1000)
- =Combined activated carbon and a true HEPA filter to deliver true HEPA performance capturing 99.97% of particulates and allergens larger than 0.3 microns.
- Touch screen panel, 4 fan speeds, sleep mode, and child lock. has a timer with 1, 2, 4, and 8-hour settings, plus indicators for filter lifetime for both the washable pre-filter and filter.
This is a powerful air purifier that works great for large rooms like workplaces or small businesses. It can cover 2500 sq ft and has a CADR of 1000. You won’t find a better purifier in this category for the price. It uses the HEPA system and can run 24/7.
It is quiet and easy to use. It can sense air quality and has an air quality indicator on the machine. It can be controlled by an app on your smartphone and also automatically adjusts if it indicates an airborne pollutant or allergen, or the indoor air quality decreases.
When it notices change for the worse it will adjust its fan speed and increase its purification ability.
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
- True-HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants - with no harmful ozone
- No remote control . CADR rated for 360 sq. ft. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, baby nurseries and offices
This is good for a small office or home area. It covers 360 sq ft and is fairly unobtrusive. It has key features such as PlasmaWave to neutralize smells and get rid of airborne germs and pollutants. This is an ozone-free permanent filter.
All of this is backed up with the feature of an odor-neutralizing carbon filter. It also has an indoor air quality sensor called Smart Sensor which will adjust the fan speed as needed.
Alen BreatheSmart- Flex-Pure Customisable Air Purifier
- Dust, dander, allergens, pet fur, and odors. Sleek design fits in any space from small to large rooms.
- Standard filter that helps eliminate asthma and allergy triggers.
- Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA layer that removes 99.99% bacteria, aerosolized viruses, and airborne particles larger than 0.1 micron. True HEPA filters last 3-5 months longer than standard filters.
This looks simple but it is mighty. It can cover a 700 sq ft area without issue. Its cleaning levels are great and offer the HEPA-silver filter, but you can choose from three others as well. It is good for dealing with airborne pollutants that make allergies especially bad like mold and dust. This purifier is sleek and looks good in an office or other open areas. A lifetime warranty is included.
Honeywell True HEPA
- The Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps to make the air you breathe cleaner. Recommended for extra-large rooms (465 square feet)
- This HEPA air purifier has 3 air cleaning levels + Turbo Clean. It helps capture particles like pet dander, pollen, dust and smoke.
- The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in extra-large 465 square feet. Rooms up to 5 times an hour – 120x per day.
The Honeywell is a quality brand name and extremely popular. It is a highly rated air purifier that uses a true HEPA filter for mold, spores, and germs. It has multiple cleaning levels and a timer with auto shut-off. It even has a turbo feature so it can be ramped up for 8 hours to target the seasons and times when it is cold and wet.
The turbo will work on getting the moisture level and spores controlled so there is no worry about mold, fungus, and viruses.
Getting an air purifier can help with both home and workplace allergies and odors. It’s a good way to control smells and chemicals from smoke, pets along with dander, and spores. While a good purifier can’t solve the problem of why there is a high humidity level causing mold, mildew, or other pollutants, it can reduce the amount that remains in the air for those in the room.