Flowers blooming during the spring and summer are indeed beautiful to look at. It also gives life to your garden.
However, living in Texas can be a bit of a challenge if you are looking for varieties of plants and flowers you can grow.
With the long stretches of hot weather in the state, keeping the garden in a beautiful state may be difficult.
But believe it or not, having a beautiful garden filled with colored flowers is not impossible amid the heat and drought.
So, if you are residing in Texas and you want to find the perfect flowers that can withstand the Texas climate, we got you.
What Are Heat Tolerant Plants?
A heat-tolerant plant is a particular type of plant that is known to withstand extreme temperatures. These plants can thrive around 50 to 65o Celsius.
The constantly increased temperature does not cause too many anatomical, biochemical, and physiological changes. Hence, heat and drought-tolerant plants can survive.
What Are Examples of Heat Tolerant Plants and Flowers?
- Lantana Confetti plants are tropical evergreens known for their deep green leaves and multi-colored flowers that attract butterflies and hummingbirds
- Lantana grow like vines and are great hanging potted plants for decks and patios or as annuals for butterfly gardens and landscapes in colder climates
- Lantana is heat and salt tolerant and makes great outdoor flower beds, groundcover, window boxes, containers, and accents even for ocean landscapes
Considered as a native plant that thrives in the tropics, lantana is one of the first names that would come into mind when it comes to heat-tolerant plants.
It thrives in a humid and hot environment. It usually needs to be in moist and well-drained soil but it can still withstand extreme temperatures.
Even when exposed to full sun, it will still bloom all-year-round with beautiful pink, yellow, red, orange, and white flowers.
- Begonia Flower Seeds - Fibrous - Cocktail Series - Pelleted - mix - 1000 Seeds - Begonia x semperflorens-cultorum
- Non-GMO - Hybrid - High Germination Rate
- Seeds For: Flower Gardening
- Days to Full Maturity: 105-115 -- Annual -- USDA Hardiness Zone: Annual Crop, Not Intended To Overwinter
- Mountain Valley Seed Company Brand - Premium Quality Seeds
This plant comes in a lot of varieties of colors and sizes. Some types of begonias can tolerate the full sun, and some thrive better in part shade.
Before buying your begonias, ensure that you will be getting the variety that thrives in heat and drought. Keeping them watered also plays a great role in its survival, especially in peak heat during summer.
It can be planted in both pots and beds.
- Hardy in zones 3-9
- Blooms in the summer
- Mature Height: 12 inches
- Deer resistant
- Immediate shipping. Shipped dormant in the win
Salvias, otherwise called sages, are easy-to-grow and heat-tolerant plants. It grows from 18 inches to 5 feet tall.
Being exposed to the full sun does not affect their growth, and they can thrive even during the summer season. Salvias do not require constant watering so many people find this plant ideal for dry gardens.
Salvias produce blue flowers and purple flowers and are known to attract different pollinators.
- you are buying 50 bare root plants
- 2-4.5 cm long and 1-2.5 cm broad
- glossy dark green with a leathery texture and an entire mar
This plant thrives in warmer climates, so it is perfect for those who are staying in Texas. It is versatile and is known to also grow even in colder climates.
To help it survive in the heat and drought, it needs to be watered regularly. In simpler terms, vincas are heat-resistant flowers, but they are not drought-resistant.
They bear pink, magenta, red flowers, and white blooms along with combinations of the colors mentioned. They thrive better in soil fertilized with moderate nutrients.
- Full Sun, Attracts Butterflies
- Even though cool to the touch, the foliage is hot cherry-red from spring through summer. The deep red leaves have dark pink margins and turn deep orange in fall. Rose-pin flowers appear above the 6” tall foliage in late summer. Flaming color for containers or the rock garden
- When received, the plant will be in seasonal condition with appropriate foliage. If shipped between November 1st and March 1st, plant may be dormant and trimmed. Plant is fully rooted in the pot ready for immediate planting
- Treadwell (plants you can walk on)
Stonecrops are a type of succulent, and as the majority know, succulents are known to thrive even during the hottest days. It is resistant to both heat and drought and can also withstand extreme humidity, and even poor soil.
They thrive even in the poorest conditions because stonecrops store moisture in their thick leaves. These colored flowers bloom even during summer in the Texas weather.
To help it thrive better, use well-draining soils under the full sun.
- Grows 10-12” Tall, 12” Spread
- Low maintenance and supreme performance under wide range of conditions.
- Double crested blooms with intense color.
- Includes 3 - 4.5” Plants of one color per order. Actual flower colors may vary from photo. Cannot ship to CA, AZ, OR, NV and
This plant is probably one of the most common heat-friendly plants known today. Marigolds are a classic – they can be both bedding plants and potted plants.
It is easy to maintain and easy to grow because it does not need much care to thrive. Different colored flowers bloom from this plant, including bright tones of yellow and orange.
It blooms during summer, and even during the fall when the majority of the plants suffer from the heat. Use well-drained soil and place your marigold under full sun, but do not forget to water it regularly too.
- These perennial tropical shrubs are popular container or bedding plants in warm climates or as annuals and houseplants in colder areas
- This low maintenance flowering bush likes heat and a mix of full sun to part shade and it can reach up to 6 tall in warmer outdoor landscapes
- This pet safe flowering tropical 6 1g potted plant is 10-12 tall from the bottom of the plastic containers to the top of the leaves; Zones 9 to 11
Unlike many plants and flowers that suffer in hot weather, pentas thrive in the Texas heat and are grown as perennials that bloom annually.
This plant is also known as the Egyptian star clusters because of its shape. When exposed under full sun, it blooms beautiful flowers in shades of pink, red, and white.
It can withstand the humidity, but it needs to be in well-drained soil to avoid the accumulation of too much moisture that may lead to plant diseases. It also attracts hummingbirds and butterflies.
- Beautiful - Full color seed packets of Sensation Mix Cosmos (Cosmos bipinnatus) flowers. This variety produces beautiful dark pink, light pink, and white blossoms. Enjoy outside in the garden and indoor as cut flowers. Minimum of 750mg per packet.
- Fun - Plant wildflower style or in carefully arranged beds, whatever suits your fancy.
- Pollinator Friendly - Butterflies and bees love Sensation Cosmos flowers and will likely pay you many visits. Great way to support your local pollinators.
This plant ranges from 3 inches to 6 feet tall. Cosmos produce daisy-like flowers that are both heat and drought-resistant.
Hence, it can withstand the heat of particular states like Texas. It grows even if the quality of the soil is not good. As a matter of fact, nutrient-rich soils can make their stems floppy and weak.
It thrives even if you do not pay much attention to it. It can be exposed under full sun or partial shade too.
- 20 Liatris Blazing Star Pink / Purple Color Flower Bulb Perennial Summer bloom Plant Fresh Beauty
- Plant: Liatris Blazing Star Quantity : 20 Color : Pink / Purple Size : 6 - 9 cm Height: 29 - 35 Grows in Full Sun to partial Shade Blooms: Summer to Fall Foliage Color: Green
- Plant Time: Spring Container Friendly : Yes Fragrant: No Deer resistant : Yes Butterfly Friendly : Yes Planting Instruction: 6 Deep, 5 Bulbs per SQ FT. Hardiness: -50 to -40 F
This plant needs full sun exposure for it to bloom the best flowers. It is also known because of the sturdy, purple stalks it produces.
Liatris also attracts hummingbirds and butterflies which make your garden more lovely to look at. It must be watered weekly until they grow enough and develop strong roots.
It does not require any fertilizers or nutrients as it will grow best under sunlight and heat.
- The photos show the mature plant in the future, not the actual plant you will receive.
- Most of our plants are shipped in 2 ½ inch square by 3 ½ inch deep pots to encourage root growth and hold shipping costs down.
- Tender perennial. Naturally a perennial, but will not withstand freezing temperatures (zones 8 to 11).
- This is the one of the truest and best of the numerous lemon-scented herbs. Glossy-green leaves grow in groups of three with panicles of tiny cream-colored flowers. A great tea and potpourri plant - leaves rubbed on oneself will repel mosquitoes.
Known as a heat-loving plant that originally thrives in South America, lemon verbena has already risen to fame because of its sturdiness.
This heat-resistant plant must be exposed under full light to partial shade to bloom. It also needs to be planted using well-draining soil to prevent too much moisture.
It grows from 2 to 3 feet tall and is known to shed leaves when the temperature drops below 40o C.
You do not have to be master gardeners to grow beautiful flowers in the middle of heat and drought. There are a lot of plants that can withstand the Texas weather.
It is just a matter of choosing the perfect plant for your liking.
Start growing your garden and grab those flowers today.