Table of Contents
Whether you live in an apartment or want to keep grilling throughout the winter, electric grills are the way to go. The problem is finding one that won’t feel like you are hot-boxing the apartment. So to avoid that situation, you need a smokeless electric grill.
Smokeless grills are unique in that they provide a grill-like experience without the smoke. This makes them suitable for indoor use. The most famous examples are provided by companies like Hamilton Beach or George Foreman.
But brand names don’t mean much when it comes to product quality. So let’s dig into the top five indoor grills for your money.
The Five Best Indoor Smokeless Grills
|Best Indoor Smokeless Grill||Product Information||Check Price|
|Top Top||PowerXL Smokeless Grill with Tempered Glass Lid and Turbo Speed Smoke Extractor Technology||Check Price|
|Top Top||GOTHAM STEEL Smokeless Grill Indoor Grill Ultra Nonstick Electric Grill||Check Price|
|Top Top||Indoor Smokeless Grill-Electric Grill with Tempered Glass Lid||Check Price|
|Top Top||Simple Living Infrared Electric Indoor Smokeless Grill||Check Price|
|Top Top||New House Kitchen Electric Smokeless Indoor Grill,||Check Price|
#1: PowerXL Smokeless Grill – The Best Overall
- Enjoy grilled steaks, ribs, pork barbecue, and burgers all year-round, this electric smokeless grill creates your outdoor BBQ recipes with the same taste, flavor & authentic char-grilled texture and grill marks.
- Each PowerXL Grill includes non-stick grill grates and a flat griddle plate. The griddle is the perfect nonstick, multi-purpose, restaurant-grade cooking surface for perfect pancakes, eggs, & more or get the perfect sear on steak and fish.
- Easy to plug in and use in your kitchen, a picnic area while camping, or even your own backyard, simply hook it up to a power source and start grilling up your favorite foods without worrying about smoke.
PowerXL offers one of the best smokeless grills because of its versatility. Each unit comes with two different cooking surfaces: a grill plate and a flat griddle plate. The combination of plates allows this grill to create grill marks or double as a panini press.
The removable drip tray prevents smoke unless you burn your oil at higher temperatures. It’s dishwasher safe as well, so those trays are fairly simple to clean. Just be sure you get the one with an included griddle.
The grill also sports over 200 square inches of cooking space to feed a hungry family of four or more. That’s impressive, but have fun finding a place to put it.
Also, while oil can burn on it, it seems to struggle a bit more with higher temperatures. As an outdoor grill substitute, this one is great for your two-person family.
|It comes with a griddle sheet and a secondary replacement sheet.||Too big for some counter spaces.|
|It comes in multiple colors.||Sometimes has problems getting to higher heats.|
|Has tempered glass lid so you can see food cooking.|
|Best Indoor Smokeless Grill Reviews|
#2: Gotham Steel Smokeless Grill – Good Surface Area
- Nonstick ceramic surface heats evenly to cook and brown food to perfection.
- Removable grease catcher fits snugly and is ceramic-coated to greatly reduce smoke-production caused by burning grease.
- Note from manufacturer: Product is dishwasher-safe (except electrical component - Temperature Dial). Please disregard printing error on user manual. Thank you.
While Gotham Steel sounds like a workshop in Batman’s city, it’s actually a brand of smokeless grill. It has a detachable knob that allows you to control heat with relative ease. However, that heat doesn’t have any specific numbers due to relying on that classic knob style.
The high setting is potent, reaching an even sear that leaves behind great grill marks. It’s known for having a consistent temperature across the surface. It also comes with a cookbook.
There are two versions of this grill available: one that comes with bake mats and one that doesn’t. Either works fine, but be sure you find out which one you want. It is dishwasher safe, but you’ll still need to hand scrub some of the bottom-most components.
It is a bit more compact than the extra-large version in the number one slot. But it still has excellent temperature-controlled grilling space.
Overall, it cooks well and evenly and has a compact size and a striking style. The Gotham Steel Grill is worthy of Batman’s backyard.
|Good heat potential.||Temperature control knob is non-specific regarding numbers.|
|Produces an even sear with no problems.||This model is difficult to clean compared to other options.|
|Striking design with a solid surface area.|
|Best Indoor Smokeless Grill Reviews|
#3: Carl Schmidt Sohn Indoor Smokeless Grill – Compact and Powerful
- The 2-in-1 indoor bbq grill is made of die-cast aluminum, which sprayed with completely non-toxic ceramic non-stick coating.The smooth surface can easily fry crepes and other food without leaving behind residues.
- Only 3 steps, all smoke during the barbecue can be quickly captured and discharged! A water tray is placed on the base of the electric grill, and the built-in fan on the side starts to work.
- Custom controls your heat level up to 450°, built-in U-shaped heating element, heating evenly, different temperatures to achieve perfect food maturity.
With a gold medal for the sleekest rill on this list, the Carl Schmidt Sohn Indoor Smokeless Grill is beautiful to look at. It also has six kinds of temperature control, an anti-slip base, and a removable grill plate made of non-stick material.
This grill is also thoughtful enough to include a tempered glass lid. However, its high heat potential makes it among the weaker indoor grills.
The design might also be sleek with the pure black surface area and the glass lid. Compared to some contact grills, this covers more surface area. As a result, finding a place to put it on your counter for storage can be mildly annoying.
It also isn’t quite as smokeless as you were hoping if you like to marinade things. Still, this is a sleek and potent grill that easily competes with any Hamilton Beach on the market.
|Sleek design.||It takes time to heat up, extending the potential cooking time.|
|Solid temperature controls.||Somewhat bulky.|
|Best Indoor Smokeless Grill Reviews|
#4: Simple Living Infrared Electric Indoor Smokeless Grill – Easy to Use
- Infrared heaters remain at the consistent temperature of 446°F delivering heat evenly across the entire grill, no cold spots or flare ups.
- Below the heating elements is an always cool drip tray, when oil, fat & grease drip down it doesnt hit a HOT surface that would normally cause it to splatter.
- With lightning fast heat up, this grill delivers the optimal temperature for grilling meat, poultry, fish, veggies and so much more.
The Simple Living Grill boasts advanced infrared technology, which means nothing to the regular consumer. In lamens terms, infrared technology helps you be sure that the entire surface of your contact grill is heated.
Other traditional grills take time to heat up with more standard heating elements. But infrared heats up quickly and consistently. Standard charcoal grills are still faster, but the claims of consistent heat are accurate.
The temperature knob is also located up-front, which is better, as it’s a more sensible place to look. The large surface area of this item can also cook up to six regular burgers.
It does not include any lid but still manages to keep a sleek and consistent design. Overall, this is an excellent investment for medium to large families.
|Good grill size.||It takes some time to heat up.|
|Consistent heating.||No glass lid for easier defrosting.|
|Best Indoor Smokeless Grill Reviews|
#5: New House Kitchen Electric Indoor Grill – The Best Budget Option
- Perfect for any grilling need, the New House Kitchen Indoor Grill is built with a temperature control knob that goes from warm to sear, achieving the grill marks you love minus all the smoke
- No more trekking in and out of the house with supplies or waiting until it gets warm outside to satisfy your BBQ cravings. Unlike other indoor grills.
- Its cooking surface contains various heat zones for grilling a variety of food and ingredients all at once – steak, fish, vegetables and more!
If you don’t have a lot of money to get an electric grill, th New House Kitchen Electric Indoor Grill has the most reasonable price on this list. The bottom-most section takes inspiration from Chefman grills. You can tell because the water and grease tray are the same.
The water absorbs the grease, which prevents the oil from building up and burning. The low cost reflects a slow heat time and the lack of any digital elements. Still, its claim of non-stick coatings is accurate, as it is easy to hand wash.
There’s also a high potential for this thing to get damaged if you forget to fill the water tray. So always remember to do that so your coating won’t become damaged. As a smokeless indoors grill of a lower cost, this holds up well with more expensive models.
|Inexpensive.||Easy to damage.|
|Easy to clean.||The knob is easy to miss.|
|Removable water tray.|
|Best Indoor Smokeless Grill Reviews|
What Should I Look in an Indoor Smokeless Grill?
When looking for the best indoor smokeless grills, here’s what you need to keep an eye on:
What Grill Size Should I Look For?
First, note that these all vary in the way they measure. Some use square inches, while others use the “number by number” method. But the best grill size you should look for varies between 70 to 150 square inches.
To determine square inches on your model, you want to measure the length and width of your grill and multiply them. For example, the PowerXL smokeless grill from above is 19.7” x 11.4”. This means you should expect 225 square inches.
Being “XL,” it makes sense for this to be larger. But smaller ones below 110 square feet are good for a family of three, while large families should seek larger sheets. You also want to be sure you have the counter space to cover them.
What You Should Know About Heat Settings On Your Grill
Good indoor smokeless grills have anywhere from three to six heat settings. The three heat settings are low, mid, and high. Low is best for cooking vegetables and fish. Meanwhile, burgers go in the middle while steak and pork chops go on the higher levels.
Check your owner’s manual for details, but most high settings vary from 450 to 550 degrees Fahrenheit.
What Makes an Indoor Grill “Smokeless?”
Typically, smokeless indoor grills have one of two things going for them:
- They have a drip pan you fill with water to prevent burning oil
- They are made of some sturdy metal material (usually stainless steel) with a non-stick coating that doesn’t burn grease
Gas grills are more efficient and burning up and going through oil, which is part of the reason why you can’t go inside with them. A standard grill kicks up more fire and is a significant hazard.
Coatings are typically made using PTFE (Teflon), silicon, or ceramic.
Why Perfect Grill Marks are Important
Grill marks are built into the surfaces of many electric or non-electric grills because they are a sign of good flavor. People actively associate those grill marks with delicious food.
If you don’t believe me, take a look at the Cuisinart Cast Iron Grill Press. Sure, you can use it to press down paninis, but the primary image you see associated with these are burgers.
A grill press works excellent to apply heat to both sides, but flipping a burger does the same thing. The point is that while food cooks, grill marks don’t add anything to the flavor.
Instead, they add something to our memory of what a good burger, steak, or chicken should look like after coming off the grill.
Do You Need Digital Displays on your Grill?
A digital display is a neat addition to your grill that provides the following benefits:
- It provides you with more precise temperature controlled buttons, as you can see it on a display.
- Many come with built-in timers with visible countdowns
- Digital temperature control is neat to look at
A digital display is a luxury item and an optional grilling feature. They are more likely to be found on higher-end Hamilton Beach and select George Foreman models.
Indicator lights available on all of these also provide much of the same information. However, you don’t have to pay extra for a light telling you when the food is done.
Aluminum, Stainless Steel, or Ceramic – What is the Better Grill Material?
All three of these are used on grill surfaces. They are all safe to use and have different advantages to using them:
- Aluminum – Aluminum is a popular metal because it is durable and inexpensive. They are often used when creating replacement grill parts.
- Stainless Steel – Stainless steel is a high-quality metal usually used to accent grills. It is mainly used on lids, but types of steel can be used for the grill.
- Ceramic – Ceramic is a natural non-stick surface that works well with infrared heating. Electric grill grates are made with ceramic in some cases, but they aren’t suitable for standard grills.
The Best Smokeless Grill Brands
While the well-known brands are George Foreman and Hamilton Beach, it’s time to give some love to some lesser-known brands. Here’s a list of brands we reviewed:
- PowerXL – PowerXL is a lover of dad puns, as their slogan is to make you “excel.” They are known for creating a variety of great kitchen appliances. Check out their website for details!
- Gotham Steel – Gotham Steel is an “As Seen on TV” brand known for its odd color choice of steel. The orange-ish pan helps them stick out with a striking design that they also apply to pan colors.
- Carl Schmitt Sohn – This company is known more for the creation of high-quality knives. However, they delve into all forms of cookware, including an indoor grill. Carl Schmitt Sohn has been around since the 1930s.
- Simple Living Products – Simple Living Products is a company that started in Southern California. They offer lifetime support for many of their products and want to encourage healthy cooking in your home.
- New House Kitchen – New House Kitchen is an Amazon and Walmart brand known for creating inexpensive products.
All brands listed above are pretty solid, so all of them are known to make high-quality products.
Indoor Smokeless Grill FAQs
How Do You Adjust the Temperature on a Smokeless Indoor Grill?
Most smokeless indoor grills have knobs located on either side. Those knobs have arrows pointing you from the minimum to maximum temperature. Those temperature settings will be labeled literally.
Sometimes, there are “plus” and “minus” buttons located on the side of your grill. Each model is made differently, so check out the owner’s manual for details.
What Temperature Do You Cook Hamburgers at on a Smokeless Grill?
You should cook hamburgers at 375 degrees until their internal temperature is at 160. The 160 implies medium to medium-well, which is safe for consumption based on the USDA’s guidelines.
You can choose to go at 145 degrees Fahrenheit for medium-rare as well. However, younger children should probably stick with medium.
Do Electric Grills Taste as Good as Gas Grills?
Because taste is subjective, we can’t answer that with any clarity. Typically, some people miss the wood taste that comes from cooking charcoal. Propane and other kinds of grills rarely have the same level of love.
Taste the two of them and find out for yourself. Some people choose to place indoor smokers in their garage to supplement their cravings.
Can Electric Grills Start Fires?
Because anything with that amount of heat has the potential to start a fire, the answer is yes. Fire risk tends to be higher on cooking areas like a wooden deck or a balcony.
Also, electric grills are more likely to catch fire if you don’t clean them or follow instructions. Many of these grills require water in the drip pan to prevent the bottom from melting off.
Our favorite grill goes back to the PowerXL (Extra Large) Smokeless Grill. It’s huge, effective, and pretty good at heating up with enough time. It also has multiple grill sheets and a glass lid so you can see what’s going on, making it great for cooking frozen food.
We have other options further down the list if you don’t need the size or something more suited for panini making. Always make sure to choose an electric grill based on your family’s priorities.
If any of these grills sound great for your needs, please consider clicking our affiliate links. Those links allow us to keep making awesome blogs. Thanks for reading!